- Giant petrels and albatrosses — 100m
- Breeding/moulting emperor penguin — 50m
- All other breeding/moulting birds and seals — 15m
- Non-breeding seal or bird — 5m
- All vehicles — 200m from all wildlife
Note: Distances are only a guide — if you detect signs of disturbance, move further away. In some cases, it will be impossible to observe these guidelines. If you are sitting or lying down, wildlife may approach of its own accord. If this occurs, remain as still and quiet as possible until birds or animals move away.
On Macquarie Island, some areas are restricted to protect breeding wildlife, particularly albatrosses and giant petrels. Check with TASPAWS ranger staff before going out into the field.